Partha Sarathi Biswas, BVSc, MVSc, PhD
Office: Dept. of Medicine, Div. of Rheumatology
Lab: 725 BST-South
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
- Bachelor of Veterinary Sciences, WBUAFS, India, 1998
- Master of Veterinary Sciences, CCSHAU, India, 2000
- PhD, Comparative and Experimental Medicine, The University of Tennessee, USA, 2005
- Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
- Assistant Professor, Department of Immunology
My lab aims to understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid disorders such as lupus and RA, with a particular focus on:
- Cytokine abnormalities in Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis, with a particular focus on IL-17 and related cytokines.
- Abnormal Th17 and Follicular helper T cells response in lupus and RA.
- Role of transcription factor IRF4 in the pathogenesis of lupus and RA.
Biswas P.S., Gupta S., Stirjacker R., Kumar V., Jessbereger R., Lu T., Bhagta G. and Pernis A.B. (2011). Dual regulation of IRF4 function in T and B cells is required for the coordination of T-B cell interactions and prevention of autoimmunity. J. Exp. Med.
Biswas P.S., Gupta S., Chang E., Song L., Stirjacker R., Liao J., Bhagta G. and Pernis A.B. (2010). Phosphorylation of IRF4 by ROCK2 regulates IL-17 and IL-21 production and the development of autoimmunity in mice. The J. Clin. Invest. 120(9):3280-95.
Biswas P.S., Gupta S., Chang E., Bhagta G. and Pernis A.B. (2011). Aberrant ROCK activation promotes the development of type I diabetes in NOD mice. Cell Immunol. 266(2):111-5.
Biswas P.S., Bhagat G. and Pernis A.B. (2010). IRF4 and its regulators: evolving insights into the pathogenesis of inflammatory arthritis? Immunol. Rev. 233: 79-96.
Chen Q., Yang W., Gupta S., Biswas P., Smith P., Bhagat G., Pernis A.B. (2008). IRF-4-binding protein inhibits interleukin-17 and interleukin-21 production by controlling the activity of IRF4 transcription factor. Immunity. 29(6): 899-911.